Meet Opemipo Ogunyemi "The Shoe Crafter" | Exclusive Interview
This young man right here is an entrepreneur with a great passion for shoe crafting. I met him at Creative focus, a competition for entrepreneurs I was fortunate to attend in year 2014. You’ll be surprised the number of talents we have in Africa, but not to worry the Bellafricana team will bring them to you one at a time. Lets meet him;
Q & A
- Please introduce yourself and your background.
My Name is Ogunyemi Opemipo, a 21years Old graduate from Ajayi Crowther University and I am a Shoe crafter. The founder of Opty designs.
- Please tell us about your work.
Opty designs is my passion and my livelihood. I do bespoke shoe crafting.
- How did Jewellery by Opty designs start?
The story long small ooh, but it all started in secondary school, JS3 to be precise. I had this very bad school sandal and got tired of wearing it or giving my expensive cobbler to fix. So I decided to start fixing them myself and fixing for people in school and I started making money. In 2010, I lost my dad shortly after I entered the Uni, then I decided to start Opty Designs on another level because I vowed to make my late dad and Family proud.
- Where do your ideas for opty designs come from? Where do you find the inspiration for your shoe crafting?
My Ideas and inspirations come from God and I also observe things a lot then I apply them to my Shoe crafting.
- Can you remember one of the first shoes you crafted? What makes it memorable?
The first Shoe I ever crafted was my JS3 project (LOL), It should be in our Fine Art Lab in school.
- How long does it take to design and make a particular work?
It depends on the type of Shoe and my mood, I could finish some in 3hours and others 7hours and some 3days.
- What are the challenges you face in business?
The major challenge is poor electricity and inability to get the kind of quality materials that I need.
- What is your most popular item (include image)?
- What are your goals for the future, both work wise and life?
My life and work goal is to execute 70% of my plans, achieve my dreams and give people hope, strength and the ability to carry on with whatever they choose to do because they see or hear about my Success Story. I want people to say “You didn’t Make me Give Up”.
- What would people be surprised to learn about you?
I have a very gentle and shy face but I am quite the opposite.
- Do you currently train people on shoe crafting?
Yes we currently train people interested in learning shoe crafting.
- For someone who wishes to take up this kind of career, what kind of advice would you give them? Also, if you could give one piece of advice to youths who want to start their own company, what would it be?
If you want to start Shoe crafting be ready to have that I Don’t Care attitude because people tend to have a funny attitude about shoe makers but above all let your motivation and strength come from the future you see ahead of you.
- And finally, I would like to give you this opportunity to share two to four images of your work and tell us a little about each.
You all haven’t seen nothing yet, but we have alot of talents, creatives and artisans we will be bringing your way. All upcoming and people you should look out for in the next 5 years. There’s no point of us bringing you celebrities, now what’s the fun in that? These people need you our readers to patronize them, as their business is nothing without you.
I am always encouraged to keep the entrepreneurial fire burning when I see young people making a difference with their passion. The honest truth is, having a start up or turning your passion to business is not easy. But, if you believe strongly in growth you will only head to the top!
To Reach Ope; kindly email him on firstname.lastname@example.org
He’ll hook you up with your customized shoes!