Be Successful: 6 Pieces of Life-Changing Advice from Mark Zuckerberg
Life is a journey and in the end, we all aim for success regardless of what we do or where we find ourselves. Mark Zuckerberg, being one of the richest man in the world has been one of my greatest inspiration of all time because he started something small that turned into a global success at a very young age.
He also showed me that it is very important to surround yourself with people who share the same goals because social bonds are critical in achieving success and any wrong move can affect your success.
I came across this 6 Pieces of Life-Changing Advice from Mark Zuckerberg, put together by Evan Carmichael and it inspired me so much that I decided to share this advice; with the intention that it inspires you too.
Do you need any form of inspiration to keep you going? Need some life-changing advice in order to push you towards achieving your goal? Or you are simply a Mark Zuckerberg fan like I am? If “yes”, this is for you!
Keep reading to find out how you can transform your life and achieve your goals.
6 Pieces of Life-Changing Advice from Mark Zuckerberg
1. Make Mistakes: To him, you should not bother trying to avoid making mistakes because mistakes are inevitable when you start a business. Make these mistakes but learn from them and keep going because nothing is impossible; just do not give up!
According to Zuckerberg, he has made a lot of mistakes in the course of running Facebook for example, choosing HTML5 for developing the mobile app instead of using the native approach in 2012. Despite this mistake and many others, Facebook has grown and expanded.
2. Create Change: Zuckerburg’s main aim for creating Facebook was to connect people, create a community and give everyone a voice, even before he thought about building a company out of it.
His passion for creating this change kept him going because he wanted to build something that would last for a long time and thus, build the change he cared about.
If he had started Facebook with the sole aim of making money, he probably would not be as successful as he is now but, because he wanted to create a change in the society, his passion for this mission was what drove him to create something that ending up becoming a global success.
3. Just Get started: At 19, in the university then (with very little software), when he sort out to start Facebook, he had very little idea of what he wanted to do as he knew nothing about connecting people; but as he started working on it, the ideas became clearer.
He built Facebook with little knowledge just to connect people in his school and from there, he expanded to other schools as well as other places beyond school.
He didn’t wait to have everything in order or have all the ideas at the palm of his hand because, in his words, “waiting to have it all together prevents you from starting” so, just start!
4. Be Proud of What you do: Zuckerberg’s aim was to enable connection between people all over the world and give them a voice.
Although, this voice is being misused now by many in the form of communicating hate speeches, etc, he has not lost sight of the positive things because through his tools, more and more people keep getting a voice, small businesses/companies use his tools to hire people, jobs are being created through these tools and, small businesses are getting a voice that previously, only big companies had.
In 2007, he became the world’s youngest self-made billionaire at the age of 23. Time Magazine named him among the 100 wealthiest and most influential people in the world, alongside its “Person of the Year” award in 2010.
Also, in 2010, he was named number 1 on on the Top 100 Most influential people of the Information Age by Vanity Fair Magazine and was ranked number 16 on The World’s 50 Most Influential figures in the New Statesman’s annual survey.
He also ranked number 10 on Forbes list of The World’s Most powerful people in 2016 and in 2018, he became the only person under 40 in Forbes Top 20 Billionaires list, and the only person under 50 person in Forbes 10 Richest People list; just a name a few achievements.
5. Take Risks: In his words, “the biggest risk you can take is not taking any risk”. Zuckerberg took lots of risks in the course of running Facebook without knowing what the outcome would be because to him, if you do not make the necessary changes and you remain stagnant, you will fail.
Years after he started Facebook, 2006 to be precise, Yahoo offered to buy it for a billion Dollars and although Zuckerberg turned down that offer which at that time was a big risk to take, and which people around him saw as a mistake, he took the risk regardless and now, has gained over 70 billion Dollars so far with an average of 6 million dollars per day.
6. Take on Big Challenges: Zuckerburg’s mission was just to connect a few people but, he ended up connecting people all over the world. Following Facebook’s success a few years later, in 2006, it had 100 million users.
In 2011, it had over 350 million users but, as some point, Zuckerberg aimed for creating a software to accommodate up to a billion people.
It seemed impossible at that time as it had never been done by anyone but, he took the challenge and now, Facebook has over 2 billion active users worldwide.
That is it! I hope you learned a lot and found some inspiration to keep you going with whatever you are doing.
Remember, it will be hard at some point, there will be mistakes, there will be moments of self doubts and disappointments but, you have to keep going because if it were easy, there would be no Mark Zuckerberg! He is proof that hard work, determination and passion pays off in the long run.
Watch the video below: